On some occasions, students may feel that their prior undergraduate or graduate work that is either outside the lapsed-time rule or that has already been used toward the awarding of a prior degree should excuse them from having in essence repeat a required foundational introduction course that is normally required as part of their PSR program. They may feel that a more advanced course in that required field may better serve their educational needs. Such students may choose to petition for “advanced standing” in their PSR program.

With advanced standing status, students may have permission to forego a normally required basic foundational course and take another course in its stead to to fulfil the credits for that required area.

The difference between a transfer and advanced standing is that in the case of transfer, actual credits from another institution are used toward the fulfillment of PSR program requirements whereas in the case of advanced standing, only the course but not the credits are used toward fulfillment of PSR program requirements.

Students interested in petitioning for advanced standing use the same form for transfers but should note “advanced standing” as their interest. Since advanced standing applies only to foundational required areas or area of interest requirements, all petitions for advanced standing must be accompanied by syllabi of courses listed in the petition.

If advanced standing is approved, the student may waive taking the normally recommended basic introduction courses as required by their PSR program and instead substitute the credits by enrolling in a different more advanced course in the same area of your own choosing. Note that in the case of advanced standing, credits are not transferred and thus, credits must still be fulfilled by taking courses through PSR.

Petition Evaluation Periods

Petitions to Transfer/Advanced Standing and any new additional documents or appeals will be considered on the following schedule:

Submission Deadline Materials received by

Will receive a response by

September 30

October 30

December 30

January 30

March 30

April 30

June 30

July 30

If you wish to appeal a decision, please do so by submitting all additional syllabi and/or other documentation to support your appeal by the next deadline. Submissions that are not received in time by a deadline will processed at the next deadline. However note that petitions with complete documentation should be submitted by the end of the first semester of your program so that a decision may be rendered in time for you to plan your program. No requests for transfer or additional appeals will be considered after your first year at PSR except under special circumstances.

Transfer and Advanced Standing Petition Forms

Below are Petitions to Transfer Credit for GTU Common MA students and non-GTU Common MA students. Please fill out the appropriate form and submit to the PSR Assistant Dean for Academic Programs.

Petition to Transfer Credits & apply for Advanced Standing for PSR Students (non-GTU MA) >>

Petition to Transfer Credits & apply for Advanced Standing for GTU Common MA Students

Transferring credits

If you have completed credits from another CHEA-accredited seminary or university and that have not yet been awarded to a degree and fall within your PSR program’s lapsed-time rule, you may be eligible to transfer them into your PSR program. For more information on transfers, consult our Transfer Policy.