Transfer Policy and Procedure

You may transfer a portion of your PSR program from an accredited theological or graduate school if that credit is evaluated by the Assistant Dean as an appropriate part of your program. No credits that fall outside the lapsed-time rule (see time lapse limit in Common Academic Policies chart) may be counted toward the program. Petitions to Transfer Credits should be submitted by the end of the first semester of your program so that a decision may be rendered in time for you to plan your program.

Petitions should include official transcripts showing the credits earned if they are not already obtained during the Admissions process. All petitioned courses are assumed to be transferred for elective credit unless noted on your petition to be used toward a basic requirement. In the case that you wish to petition a transferred course to be used for one of your basic requirements or any other kind of requirement, you must note that on your petition, and you must supply course descriptions and syllabi of those courses to accompany the written petition request. Requests without syllabi will be processed for elective credit only.

Please note: courses that are transferred in are used to determine your overall GPA.

Special Transfer Cases

  • Certificate of Theological Education for Leadership (CTEL):Students who already possess an associates degree or higher and have earned a CTEL, may petition to transfer up to 3.0 elective credits toward a graduate PSR degree or certificate program by the end of their first semester at PSR.
  • Certificate of Ministry (CMS):
    CMS graduates who wish to pursue futher education at PSR may transfer up to 7.5 elective credits toward PSR graduate degree or certificate or program by the end of their first semester at PSR.
  • Field Education credit: Transferring Field Education credits requires, in addition to transcripts, submission of all field education reports documenting the field education experience and evaluation from the previous institution.

As PSR is on a semester system, quarter credits are transferred in at 2/3 the original rate. Courses suitable for transfer of credit are graduate level academic courses from an ATS and/or a regionally accredited (or equivalent) institution. Up to 2/3 of your total required units may be transferred from a school outside PSR including courses from another school in the consortium.

In short, a few key things to remember and check if you are thinking about transferring are:

  • Credits cannot be older than usually 4-7 years (lapsed time rule) depending on which program you are applying to at PSR.
  • Courses must be at graduate level, in theological field, and from accredited institution.
  • Petitions must be accompanied with copies of syllabi for courses you wish to use toward basic foundational requirements of PSR programs.

If you have completed prior relevant coursework but it does not necessarily meet all the criteria as listed above, you may still be eligible for advanced standing status, which may waive you from certain course requirements, but require you to still fulfill the credits with an appropriate substitution of your choice. For more information on petitioning for Advanced Standing status, visit our Advanced Standing Policy and Procedure.

Petition Evaluation Periods

Petitions to Transfer/Advanced Standing and any new additional documents or appeals will be considered on the following schedule:

Submission Deadline
Materials received by
Will receive a response by
September 30 October 30
December 30 January 30
March 30 April 30
June 30 July 30

If you wish to appeal a decision, please do so by submitting all additional syllabi and/or other documentation to support your appeal by the next deadline. Submissions that are not received in time by a deadline will processed at the next deadline. However note that petitions with complete documentation should be submitted by the end of the first semester of your program so that a decision may be rendered in time for you to plan your program. No requests for transfer or additional appeals will be considered after your first year at PSR except under special circumstances.

Transfer and Advanced Standing Petition Forms

Below are Petitions to Transfer Credit for GTU Common MA students and non-GTU Common MA students. Please fill out the appropriate form and submit to the PSR Assistant Dean for Academic Programs.

Petition to Transfer Credits & apply for Advanced Standing for PSR Students (non-GTU MA) >>
Petition to Transfer Credits & apply for Advanced Standing for GTU Common MA Students

Transferring out of PSR to another institution

Note that this policy covers only transfers of non-PSR coursework to PSR programs only. For policies on transfers of PSR credits to an outside institution, please consult that institution’s transfer policy.