Today our congregation at Calgary UMC of San Jose has a hundred active households. Where a Quaker mustard field once stood, this sanctuary, with its beautiful stained glass windows and woodwork, houses worship services that are both traditional and contemporary, and we continue to be inspired by intelligent preaching and a strong music program. Flowing out from this place, we continue to meet the needs of those in the community around us with programs such as preparing meals for women and children living in a local shelter. Fulfilling the dreams of our founders, we continue to reach out to support connectional and community programs that share the message of hope and new life, and men and women from Calvary have traveled all across the world to share that message in person.
Our congregation is now 1/3 Pacific Islander, so a student familiar with Samoan culture and worship would be especially welcome. We wish to provide culturally-relevant teaching to our children and their parents.
A Field Education student will have these opportunities at Calgary UMC:
- Building theological reflection in practice of ministry
- Building confidence for seminarian’s abilities and commitment, and her/his role in church leadership
- Planning/Teaching/Organizing for Children & Youth programs both ongoing & special events
- Providing pastoral care for children & youth with supervision of pastor
- Administration as part of ministry: planning, convening meetings, following through on details, evaluating, communicating, working with complex organizations, dealing with conflicts, team-building, understanding power and authority
- Participating in community and mission outreach, social justice and witness
- Leading worship, preaching, developing worship service and actively participating in the worship life of the church
- Not required, but will be greatly helpful if a candidate has a musical gift (vocal, or/and instrument)
CONTACT: Rev. Kangse Lee, Pastor, email@example.com or pastor’s cell 510-634-2474
CAR REQUIRED: Yes