The Unitarian Universalist Church of Silver Spring (UUCSS) is seeking an outgoing, committed individual to serve as its Director of Religious Education (DRE) beginning August 15, 2017. This full-time (40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year) position serves as the professional responsible for the overall day-to-day operation of the established children and youth religious education program. This position is ideal for a people-oriented person seeking to become an integral part of a vibrant, growing congregation of Unitarian Universalists.
The individual is supervised by and will work closely with our Interim Minister, Evan Keely.
• Enthusiasm for Unitarian Universalism religious education,
• excellent supervisory skills, patient and caring with children of all ages,
• outgoing nature with excellent interpersonal skills, highly dependable and responsible,
• college education.
• UUA Credentialed status preferred, but we will consider non-credentialed with relevant experience.
As Director of Religious Education, the incumbent will:
• Supervise the administration of the established children and youth education program;
• Provide leadership for and continued development of the religious education program;
• Coordinate and train religious education volunteers;
• Promote and facilitate communication within the church and with the larger community;
• Participate in continuing education workshops and organization for professional growth;
• Create and lead children’s and multigenerational worship;
• Work collaboratively with the minister, other staff, and the religious education committee.
The incumbent supervises children and youth RE staff, currently including the RE Assistant and youth Ministry Coordinator (8 hours/week), Summer RE Coordinator (5 hours/week) and Nursery/Toddler Room Staff (2 Nursery Assistants, 3.5 hours/week each). The position is full-time, however, the demands of the position during summer months are less extensive and hours may be adjusted accordingly.
Salary Range: Salary is within UUA Guidelines commensurate with experience and credentials.
Applications are due by June 21, 2017.
Here is a link to a Drop Box folder with additional information about the position:
Contact: For more information or to apply, contact Sharon Snyder at firstname.lastname@example.org or Miranda Bradley at CouncilChair@uucss.org