Christian Education/Youth Ministry Director
First Congregational United Church of Christ, Murphys
will be focused on coordinating Christian Education and youth ministries through Sunday school and fellowship groups as follows:
- Develop and oversee the Sunday School Curriculum in cooperation with the pastor and Christian Education Committee.
- The ability to work within the allocated budget and keep accurate records.
- Recruit and provide training and support of Sunday School volunteers (teachers, rotation/workshop leaders and assistants) Coordinate coverage for nursery care.
- Coordinate with pastor and member to provide adult education opportunities.
- Cultivate a positive and healthy relationship with children and youth and their families.
- Maintain the youth/teen fellowship programs, recruit and support volunteers and leaders.
- Write a monthly newsletter article regarding Christian Education programs and youth activities.
- Direct and/or coordinate the Christian Education Christmas Pageant.
- Attend monthly Christian Education meetings.
- Organize Children’s Sunday celebration
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Coordinate, facilitate, and attend VBS.
- Attend Worship Services and extra services as assigned.
- Support and promote the denominational camping program
Work in cooperation with:
- The Pastor and other professional and non-professional staff of the Church
- Community members
Responsible to: Pastor
Experience with youth and children and a desire to assist us in developing a strong Christian Education Program, as well as experience with Sunday school and youth ministry leadership.
- Commitment to the Christian faith in an ecumenical environment
- Enthusiasm and optimism about education ministry to youth and children and their families
- Ability to work with youth and children and concern for their nurturing as persons and as disciples of Jesus Christ
- Strong listening skills and sincere interest in others
- Job Skills:
- Experience with children, Christian Education, and youth ministry.
- Understanding of development of children, Pre-K through teens
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Ability to educate and communicate to families of children and youth
- Ability to recruit, coordinate, train and supervise volunteers
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Seminary education preferred.
Participate in the Christian Education Committee monthly meetings, updating the Committee with status of Sunday school and youth ministry activities. Participate in staff meetings with Pastor on a regular basis. Communicate regularly with parents of youth and children through verbal conversation, email, newsletters and notices sent home. The Chair of Christian Education and Pastor will conduct annual reviews to enable goal setting and congregational support.
The pay is $16-$18 an hour and commensurate with experience and education.
Time Required: 16 hours per week.
Support System: Support from the Christian Education Committee and Pastor to establish successful Christian Education programs for our children and youth.
The Church Will Provide: Hourly pay, professional support, and direction in approving calendar of events. Opportunities to participate in worship and sacraments of the church.
Contact: Rev. Dr. Bonnie L. Hollinger, pastor
First Congregational United Church of Christ
PO Box 48
509 North Algiers St
Murphys CA 95247