Director of Faith Development at Foothills UCC
Do you have experience teaching and leading programs for children?
Foothills Congregational Church is seeking a part-time Director of Faith Development to lead our Sunday school program and youth fellowship.
Role is 1/2 time, 20 hours/week. If you have a background in ministry, there is an option to add a 1/4 time role developing programs for the congregation as a whole. Hourly salary will be based on experience and will fall in the range of $35-$45/hr. Must be on-site in Los Altos on Sundays and one other day per week.
Foothills Congregational Church, UCC is seeking a Director of Faith Development from December 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020 with an option to extend for an additional 3 to 6 months. This will be a ½ or ¾ time position depending on the availability, interests, and qualifications of the candidate.
Successful candidates will have a background in education or ministry, be well organized and engaging with kids and youth, and be comfortable working in a congregation that expresses a progressive Christian theology.
Apply with a resume and cover letter by November 15.
The role starts Dec 1 and ends June 30 (with an option to extend by 3 to 6 months).
Info@foothills-church.org or https://foothills-church.org
The primary responsibilities of the Director of Faith Development are leading and resourcing our Sunday Morning Children’s Program and Youth Fellowship. This will include sending curriculum to teachers and laying out materials for our Sunday morning programs, supervising teachers and nursery care providers, teaching a group when needed, and leading and resourcing our Youth Fellowship. It involves participating in a limited number of meetings, primarily with our Faith Development Board (FDB), and working with the FDB to plan for Christmas and Holy Week events. This accounts for ½ time.
An optional additional ¼ time opportunity would include working with our Senior Minister to provide adult faith development programs, particularly a Lenten series currently under development, and other educational work of interest to the Director of Faith Development, the Senior Minister and needed by the congregation.
We expect the Director of Faith Development to be present on our campus on Sundays for our worship service at 10:00 AM and Youth Fellowship 11:45 AM – 1:00 PM and at least one other day to be negotiated with our Senior Minister and lay leaders.
This will be a fixed term contract compensated, depending on the time commitment and gifts of the successful candidate, at between $35 and $45 per hour. FCC will also reimburse for mileage accrued to commute to our campus.
Interested applicants should contact Foothills Church by November 15 at firstname.lastname@example.org,
or Sandra Waugh Ruggles, PhD (Vice Moderator) at email@example.com.
Detailed responsibilities for the Children’s and Youth Programs
- Lead or coordinate leadership of the Time With Children
- Make sure classrooms and nursery are ready for use
- Set out Godly Play materials in the classroom
- Teach or assist classes on Sunday as needed
- Lead Youth Fellowship meetings
- Review and sign time sheets for childcare providers and paid teachers (every other Sunday)
Children’s Program (all coordinated with FDB)
- Schedule Sunday supervisors, teachers, aides, nursery care as needed
- Send weekly email with Children’s Program plan and curriculum
- Shop for supplies as appropriate and submit receipts
- Record attendance for the Diaconate on the clipboard in the workroom
- Communicate with families about plans for Palm Sunday and Easter
- Coordinate children’s program communion with the ministers in the congregation
- Ensure compliance with our Safe Church Policy
- Be a source of encouragement for children, youth, parents, Children’s Program staff, and volunteers
Youth Fellowship (coordinated with FDB):
- Plan, purchase snacks for, and lead the Sunday Youth Fellowship
- Schedule an adult assistant for youth Fellowship
- Communicate with youth and their families about youth events and church events that may be interesting to them
- Plan and lead the summer service trip
- Faith Development Board currently second Sundays at 11:15
- Staff meeting currently Wednesdays at 8 AM (sometimes 10:30 AM)
- Executive Council third Thursdays at 7:15 PM (attendance to be discussed)
- Coordinate ordering of palms with Altar Guild
- Invite children to come early to line up to process with palms during the prelude, introit, or first hymn
- Talk the children through walking slowly up the aisle, placing the palms in baskets and going to sit with their parents
Lead the processional
Good Friday Youth Program and Easter Preparation
- Promote youth event on Good Friday (dinner, activities, stuffing Easter eggs)
- Coordinate Easter crafts for Children’s Program for both main services
- Make sure we have two adults or one adult and one older youth to lead craft time for each service
- Coordinate youth to set out the Easter eggs and keep passers-by from helping themselves early. (Invite interested children to join us for the hunt)