Berkeley Methodist United Church is a reconciling church.
We WELCOME people of all ethnicities, all economic circumstances, all sexual orientations and gender identities.
Do you have a passion and desire to help children and youth know the love of Christ? Would you like to help shape the church for the next generation? We at BMUC are looking for energetic, creative, insightful individuals who are looking to explore a career in ministry with our youth and children. We are looking for people unafraid of new ideas, who can relate to the younger generation, and who are persons of integrity.
You do not need extensive prior experience in ministry, but can exhibit organizing skills, keep on task, and have a positive attitude. Salary will be related to experience and knowledge.
Director of Youth and Children’s Ministry
Under the general direction of the Pastor, the Director of Youth and Children’s Ministry (DYCM) will recruit and equip children and youth with opportunities and resources to grow in personal faith, involving them in hands-on application of Christian and spiritual ideals in their everyday life.
The DYCM will collaborate with the Pastor, parents of children and youth, the Commission on Education, and others to bring in new participants, initiate and maintain programs and activities that encourage faith-nurturing relationships among the children and youth, and actively encourage expression of faith in the community and world.
The DYCM will:
- Develop relationships, conduct a needs assessment, and develop a one-year action plan within the first 60 days after hire.
- As the Sunday School Superintendent, recruit and equip Sunday School teachers as needed from within the congregation, and with the Commission on Education, select curriculum and train the Sunday School teachers.
- Teach Sunday School for the youth on Sundays.
- Utilize social media and existing church publications for outreach, recruitment, and promotion of activities.
- Assist the Pastor in developing a strategy and programs for outreach in our neighborhood and surrounding community.
- Collaborate with the Music Director for special programs incorporating children and youth.
- Have completed or be willing to complete and clear Safe Sanctuary Training.
- High school diploma
- Previous youth group leadership experience a plus