The First Congregational Church in Canandaigua, NY is an open-minded, vibrant congregation with a 200+ year history of making an impact in the lives of its members and the community at large. It is our vision to be a growing, friendly community of faith following the teachings of Christ, to welcome people from varied backgrounds and faith experiences, to respect individual diversity, to inspire service, to encourage community involvement and to provide support for many missions.
Worship is central to our faith. We promote spiritual, intellectual and social growth in one another and seek to balance our strong heritage with the reality of the 21st century. We have regular services each Sunday supported by a strong and inspirational music program that highlights our organ and includes adult and children’s choirs and a hand bell choir.
We look forward to a meaningful message in the weekly sermon that will prompt us as we make decisions in our daily lives. We offer nursery care, Sunday school for preschool through high school as well as discussion groups, retreats, and a variety of activities for both adults and youth.
The First Congregational Church is a place where compassion and hope are nurtured and where wonder, love, and learning live and grow. We are seeking a new Minister who will help us achieve our potential.
Job Description: Full-Time Pastor
The Pastor of the First Congregational Church of Canandaigua, UCC shall shepherd the spiritual and faith journeys of the Congregation and coordinate the activities of the Church through the Church Council and its boards and committees while fostering an environment of mutual respect and teamwork among the professional staff and volunteer leaders.
- Lead the Congregation in worship services and coordinate special services throughout the year.
- Conduct wedding, baptismal, and funeral services.
- Make calls on the sick and shut-ins.
- Counsel those in spiritual need and maintain confidentiality.
- Comfort the bereaved.
- Contribute articles to the monthly newsletter and provide an overview of the entire year for the annual report.
- Provide supervision and guidance to both the professional and volunteer staff in conjunction with the appropriate boards and committees. Cultivate a team environment among the staff and lay leadership.
- Attend Church Council, Church Trustees, and Pastor Parish Committee meetings and maintain good communications with the chairpersons of those groups.
- Provide leadership in evaluating the needs and opportunities for our Church.
- Participate in community events hosted by the Church or events in which the Church participates.
- Provide a monthly Service for residents of two senior living/assisted living centers in Canandaigua, Clark Manor and Quail Summit.
- Be accountable to the Congregation through the Church Council and the Pastor Parish Committee.
- Encourage Congregants to develop their spiritual lives and to develop and share their individual talents.
- Form positive and supportive relationships with all age groups and show interest in their programs.
- Foster mutual respect among fellow staff members.
- Actively seek out and maintain an awareness of community outreach possibilities.
- Partner with area churches to support initiatives to help the community.
- Participate with the UCC through denominational activities (e.g. GVA, NY Conference General Synod) and participate, as the need arises, in the ecumenical work of the Canandaigua religious community.
- Business and financial acumen
- Previous parish experience preferred
- Master of Divinity (MDiv.) degree
- United Church of Christ affiliation/ordination preferred
Salary/Compensation: Salary is competitive and benefits and housing allowance are provided.
All applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Timeframe for filling this position is Summer of 2019.
Please email resume/CV and cover letter explaining
your interest in our church and this role to:
Sue Hawkes, firstname.lastname@example.org
First Congregational Church of Canandaigua, UCC
58 North Main Street,
Canandaigua, New York 14424