First Congregational Church of Berkeley, United Church of Christ, a progressive, welcoming Christian community, is recruiting for a Lead Nursery & After Care Teacher to assist in developing and leading an imaginative learning environment for our youngest children.
Goals of our nursery and After Care program:
- brightly shine God’s love for every baby and toddler, child and their parents
- welcome children into a safe and engaging environment, and
- accompany children in their exploration of the materials and their relationship-building with God, themselves, you and the other children.
Use the RIE method of honoring our children’s experience moment to moment in order to hold a sacred space for them while they are in our church nursery and play yard. All play and care should be child-initiated. And all children’s feelings should be fully felt.
Essential Duties include:
- Arrive at 9 a.m. and set up the play yard and nursery room.
- Set out the sign-in sheets for each, date them today’s date, and write today’s teachers’ names on it.
- Set up the room in a tidy, simple way with a few options, rotating the options week to week so the toys stay fresh.
- Create 5 – 6 different centers, like an infant section, a library (with a rocker and the book bin set on its side like a bookshelf), a nursery with the doll furniture, the street rug for cars and playground toys, and at least 1 RIE activity.
- Play fun music!
- As parents arrive, introduce yourself, ask their names, and give them a tour of the space, including the bathroom with changing table and diapering supplies.
- Invite the child to play with the materials or play/read with you.
- Before parents leave, make sure they sign in and leave their cell phone numbers. Explain to every parent that the nursery-aged kids will be in the Play Yard starting at 11:15.
- Have a wonderful time watching the children!
- After worship, pack up the materials into their proper bins (following the labels for each category) and set ALL bins and toys on the shelves in the closet. See if you can get the children to help you put things away so you can start packing up even before parents arrive.
- Make sure all parents sign their children back out when they pick them up from the Play Yard.
- After Church in the Play Yard for After Care, set up the Baby Gate.
- As parents arrive, ask them for their children’s lunches and any other supplies they may need. Welcome parents and children and ask parents to sign children in.
- Help children engage in different activities with each other or alone. Keep children safe. Initiate games when needed. Make sure every child eats lunch.
- Make sure every child is signed out by their respective parents.
- Pack up all activities from the play yard.
- Communicate what went well, what the challenges were, ideas for improving the setting/activities/leadership/structure, and God Moments to the Sunday School Director in a weekly email or phone call.
This is a part-time, 12-month per year (5 hours/week from 9am-2pm on Sundays September – May, and 3 hours/week from 9am – 12 noon June – August) non-benefitted position that requires:
- A love of children and a commitment to their growth and formation.
- Demonstrated experience with Nursery or Preschool aged children.
- Knowledge of play-based preschool curricula, the RIE method and the “playful parenting” approach.
- Ability to serve as a positive role model for youth.
- Proven ability to supervise youth and inexperienced nursery and preschool volunteer teachers.
- Ability to take initiative and be a self-starter.
- Excellent communication skills with children and parents of diverse backgrounds.
- The ability to work collegially.
- Successful completion of a background check.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send their cover letter and resume to
Carolyn Ash, Director of Family Ministries at email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed as received.
This is a current opening. Learn more about us at www.fccb.org!
First Congregational Church of Berkeley, United Church of Christ
2345 Channing Way
Berkeley, CA 94704