Kobe Union Church, a multinational interdenominational congregation in Kobe, Japan, invites applications for a Lead Pastor and at least one Associate Pastor. Contracts will be full-time or close to full-time. Salaries will be reasonable and commensurate with the applicant’s gifts and qualifications, and include accommodation + other benefits.
The Lead Pastor will lead a multi-pastoral team working to encourage the growth of KUC in terms of discipleship, the spiritual growth of our own community, and outreach, evangelism and the spreading of Christian love to the larger Kobe area.
Applicants for the role of Lead Pastor must: –
- Be ordained (or commissioned, as appropriate) with at least 5 years of full-time pastoral experience (or suitable equivalent).
- Demonstrate evidence of team-building skills and leadership ability to promote the empowerment of the congregation.
- Have a clear understanding and vision of how ‘growth’ can be built into the ‘DNA’ of a church.
The core requirements for all applicants are:-
- Master of Divinity, its international equivalent, or an approved alternate.
- Ordination or pending ordination in one of the mainline Protestant denominations.
- Experience working with multi-ethnic or international congregations
- Ability to work as part of a pastoral team.
- Demonstrated commitment to both ecumenism and evangelism.
- Demonstrated gifts in the area of pastoral care.
- Fluency in English
- Evidence of good standing with their denomination
Particular skills will be considered a bonus:-
- Experience with youth, young adult, and young family ministries.
- Counseling training, or specific experience in pastoral counseling.
- Knowledge of Japanese language and familiarity with Japanese culture.
- Background in music, worship leadership, and liturgy.
- Background in education/Christian education.
- Completion of at least one unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (or its equivalent).
- Demonstrated skills with technology and digital/online ministry.
Applicants should send a CV + a letter explaining their interest, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please make it clear if you are applying for the post of Lead Pastor, or Associate Pastor. Candidates selected for the next round will be asked to complete a detailed questionnaire.
- 31 March for Lead Pastor
- 30 April for Associate/Support Pastor
Kobe Union Church
Nada, Kobe, Hyogo