Job Title: Literacy Intervention Tutor
Deadline: Open until filled with intent to fill immediately
Employer/Department Name: Pacific School of Religion (in Cooperation with Reading Partners)
Compensation: $15 per hour
Hours: 4-10 hours per week Monday-Thursday (additional hours may be available)
Who Should Apply: PSR students eligible for Federal Work-Study. If you are unsure about whether or not you qualify, please contact PSR Financial Aid.
Location: Elementary schools in East Oakland and Fruitvale. Student must have transportation or be willing to take public transportation to their site. For locations see: http://readingpartners.org/location/sf-bay-area/schools/
Reading Partners (readingpartners.org) is a nonprofit organization that works to expand life opportunities for at-risk elementary school children by empowering them with strong literacy skills. We work directly within under-resourced elementary schools and recruit community members to provide one-on-one literacy tutoring for students who are reading below grade level.
We are seeking qualified candidates for our Literacy Intervention Tutor positions, who will assist the Reading Partners on-site coordinator with tutoring and administrative support. Opportunities are available Monday – Thursday, from 9am – 6pm (depending on the school site).
- Tutor one-on-one with elementary school students reading below grade level
- Track student progress using Reading Partners tools
- Substitute tutoring, when needed
- Provide administrative support, as needed
- Attend Reading Partners orientation and trainings
- Interest in working with young children who need help learning
- Willingness to learn tutoring strategies and implement feedback
- Ability to commit to a schedule and show up promptly when expected
- Ability to work independently or with limited supervision
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
- Ability to pass a Livescan background check and TB test*
* A Livescan background check and proof of a negative TB test is a requirement to work within our partner school districts. Qualified candidates who undergo the interview process and are hired will be expected to pay up-front for the cost of the Livescan and TB test. Reading Partners can reimburse for these expenses.
To apply: Send your resume directly to the PSR Financial Aid office at email@example.com. Resumes will be forwarded directly to Reading Partners and an interview will be scheduled for qualified candidates.
For more information about this position or about Reading Partners please contact Peter Cabana at firstname.lastname@example.org.