About the Center for Humane Technology
Launched in 2018 by deeply concerned tech ex-insiders — including world-renowned design ethicist Tristan Harris (called the “closest thing Silicon Valley has to a conscience” by The Atlantic magazine) and highly-acclaimed technology investor Roger McNamee — the Center for Humane Technology (CHT) is an independent nonprofit organization whose mission is to realign technology with our humanity.
Learn more and meet our team at http://www.humanetech.com.
About the Managing Director Opportunity
We are looking for a visionary, empathic, mission-driven operational leader who is poised to steward CHT’s growth in a rapidly evolving landscape. Now entering its second year, the organization is set to roughly double in size within the next year with continued growth projected ahead. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Managing Director will lead the implementation of CHT’s vision and strategy and will develop the infrastructure necessary to ensure that our operational plans and programmatic work are executed with strength and clarity on a daily, quarterly, and annual basis.
With a deep personal commitment to our mission of realigning technology with our humanity, our Managing Director will bring an inspired enthusiasm to rally stakeholders to join our work and thrive as team members, volunteers, supporters, and/or community members. Internally, the Managing Director will embody and promote a high-spirited, values-driven culture in which everyone feels empowered to succeed and meet individual and collective goals. Externally, our Managing Director will align key partners and stakeholders while supporting our fundraising and resourcing efforts to drive the growth necessary to carry out the organization’s vision.
Vision and Strategy
- Partner with the Executive Director and leadership team to execute the organization’s overall vision and strategy to meet short- and long-term goals.
- Develop and implement organizational processes and policies
- Serve as thought partner to Executive Director
- Serve as a spokesperson for CHT’s vision, strategy, and ongoing work
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the company with a focus on coordinating the high level strategic goals of the leadership team with the day-to-day operations of the broader CHT team, including:
- Support CHT teams with high-level planning, including setting and meeting key goals, deliverables, performance measures, and timelines on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Support coordination among and between teams
- Fiscal and regulatory compliance
- Oversee the company’s fiscal activity, including financial management, budgeting, reporting, and auditing for both the short- and long-term.
- Support the organization’s fundraising goals and manage key fundraising relationships
- Assure all legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations.
- Maintain a lively CHT culture grounded in our core values and principles, especially as the organization grows
- Empower employees to reach their full potential in support of CHT’s mission
- Create an environment that promotes high performance, integrity, accountability, collegiality, and positive morale.
- Develop and maintain positive, productive, and strategic relationships with key stakeholders including team members, supporters, media, policymakers, and technologists
- Build alliances and partnerships with other organizations.
- 10+ years experience in a senior management position running small to midsize organizations
- Demonstrated track record of success overseeing strategy, operations, and finance within mission-driven teams working on large-scale systems change
- Proven fundraising abilities, preferably in the non-profit sector, and ideally coming in with a strong network
- A strong tech background
- Experience building alliances with high-impact stakeholders
- Exceptional people skills, including strong empathy, exemplary ethics, clear oral and written communication skills, as well as the ability to:
- Build consensus and compassionate, respectful relationships
- Inspire confidence and create trust
- Mentor team members and nurture talent
- Be creative, open-minded, and strategic
- Location: San Francisco Bay Area, with moderate travel
- Employment Terms: This is an employee position with an immediate start date.
- Compensation: We offer competitive compensation alongside the opportunity to help solve a pressing global problem.
- Application Deadline: We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis.