Rally at MLK Civic Center Park
2151 MLK Jr. Way, Berkeley, CA 94704
Join faith leaders and activists as we urge our elected officials to honor sanctuary for all people, regardless of immigration status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or religion.
- Jesse Arreguin, Mayor, City of Berkeley
- Rev. John Fife, Co-founder of the Sanctuary movement
- Rev. James Lawson, Jr., Civil Rights Leader
- Rev. Phillip Lawson, Civil Rights Leader
- Jose Antonio Vargas, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and immigration activist
- Rev. Dr. David Vásquez-Levy, President, Pacific School of Religion
In his famous Letter from the Birmingham Jail, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. articulated the profound spiritual role that marches, protests, sit-ins, etc. play in movements for social change, saying “[Through direct action,] we…bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with…injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion, before it can be healed.”
To conclude our time together, we will explore what we come to know and understand about Borders and Identities in and through participation in direct social action, and how we might join in exposing underlying tensions and systems of injustice so that they might be transformed. As we put hands, feet, and heart to our prayers in the hopes of directly impacting our local and national communities, we affirm that this, too, is what theology and ministry looks like.