Student Pastor – Summer 2020
Are you looking for some adventure and a place to grow in your pastoral skills? Union Congregational United Church of Christ might just be the place for you. Located in the SW corner of Wyoming, we are looking for a student to be our pastor for the summer while our pastor is on Sabbatical.
We are a small congregation (~100 members) in Green River, WY (population 12,000). We are part of the United Church of Christ; an open congregation, progressive in our theology. Summer worship attendance is around 30.
Check out our website for more info: www.unioncongregationalucc.org
This position is for 12-13 weeks, May 17 – August 17, 2020, subject of course to school schedule.
Housing and stipend provided for a 35-hour work week.
Responsibilities would include:
- worship planning and leadership,
- pastoral care to home bound and others,
- presence and wisdom at meetings within the congregation,
- attendance and representation at the Rocky Mountain Conference Annual Celebration,
- weekly congregational electronic communications and monthly newsletter submissions,
- teaching opportunities (including VBS), and
- participation in the 90 Days of Gratitude Journal and weekly conversations.
- Student would preside at funerals and other rites or ceremonies as needed.
- The secretary and organist will help with administrative and worship duties.
There will be a student resource committee as well as a highly qualified mentor to work with you and to help you have a meaningful learning experience. Pastor Jenny will also be available through the end of May.
We prefer a student who has
- completed at least 2 years of seminary, having completed preaching, pastoral care and worship classes.
- A unit of CPE is also highly recommended.
- Student must be self-motivated, a capable public speaker, open-minded, creative, and personable with good social skills. Must love dogs.*
Compensation is $700 a week, based on a 35-hour work week at $20 an hour. 13 weeks would equal a $9100 stipend.
Travel and lodging expenses to and from Green River, Wyoming will be covered.
Work related mileage will be compensated at federal rates.
Housing is the pastor’s home. It is fully furnished and comes with a dog.
*Extra compensation will be provided by the pastor for dog sitting.
Having 2 days off a week, we hope you will take advantage of the high desert recreational area that we call home.