Grace Episcopal Church is an active faith community and we look forward to welcoming you. Many have found a spiritual home and a family of faith at Grace over the years… This is a place of healing, rest, and transformation as well as a community of engagement, learning, and service.
Temporary Children, Youth, and Families Ministry Coordinator
Summary Position Description
The Temporary Children, Youth, and Families Ministry Coordinator will, in partnership with the Rector and Grace’s leadership, coordinate several of the formation ministries at Grace Episcopal Church while two of its staff people are on parental leave. This position is temporary, lasting from January until May 2020, and involves providing administrative support for the children and youth ministry programs, in-person and electronic communication with families, as well as being the primary staff liaison for events and coordination with other ministries. The children and youth ministries at Grace are flourishing programs, and the staff people responsible will provide direction and guidelines before their leave.
Reports to: Rector
Coordinates with: Office Manager, Assistant Rector, Director of Youth Ministries, and volunteers and staff involved in children and youth ministries
(Education, Skills, Competencies, Experiences, and On-going Requirements):
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to use correct grammar and punctuation
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe products, and other electronic publishing tools.
- Experience with the parish life of a church, and general knowledge of the Episcopal church preferred.
- Excellent “people” skills, including the ability to coordinate team leadership of a ministry and to communicate clearly, kindly, and effectively with a wide variety of people
- Previous, demonstrated experience working in a ministry setting with children and youth required; experience with Catechesis of the Good Shepherd preferred.
- Attend twice monthly staff meeting and regular supervision meetings with the Rector
- Compliance with all Episcopal Diocese of Northern California Safe Church policies.
- Compliance with all applicable sections of Grace Church’s Employee Handbook.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Temporary Children, Youth, and Families Ministry Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the following work in the absence of the staff person who normally performs them:
- Youth Ministry
- Communicate weekly with youth leaders: send lesson plans, assist in coordinating schedule changes/substitutions as needed
- Write weekly email to parents and youth with youth ministry and other relevant parish events
- Be available by email and phone at least 3 days per week in order to be the point of contact for questions about youth ministry programs
- Coordinate mission trip logistics: oversee the collection of fees and forms from parents; ensure fundraiser income is reconciled and correctly deposited; coordinate the paperwork for reimbursing volunteers; making payments to airlines and other entities as needed
- Serve as primary staff liaison for March fundraiser, purchasing supplies and coordinating with other ministry leaders and staff as needed
- Assist in coordinating and communicating about other special events (Easter Egg Hunt, Beach Weekend, etc.)
- Children’s Ministry:
- Be present each Sunday morning to assist with the children’s ministry program
- Communicate weekly with children’s ministry leaders; create schedule for Sunday morning volunteers and staff and assist in ensuring schedule changes and adequate coverage occurs each week
- Order supplies for the children’s ministry as requested; provide administrative support for the program (forms, data entry, etc.)
- Coordinate a monthly check-in meeting for key children’s ministry leaders
- Write weekly email to parents of children with relevant events and information
- Be available by email and phone at least 3 days per week in order to be the point of contact for questions about children’s ministry programs
- Coordinate with volunteers to run Pancake Supper, Easter Egg Hunt, Liturgy of the Light, and other special seasonal events
- Schedule nursery worker for church events requiring childcare; supervise nursery worker and lead catechists.
- Other duties
- Welcome newcomers to children and youth ministries and connect them with appropriate information and people
- Ensure that the children and youth ministry programs comply with all Episcopal Diocese of Northern California Safe Church policies
- Schedule and manage facilities and other administrative issues for adult formation during Epiphany and Lent
- Coordinate communication about adult formation with necessary staff and volunteers
- Assist in other parish event coordination as needed.
Compensation and Hours:
- $30 per hour, 15-19 hours per week, from January until May 2020 (exact dates TBD)
- Must be available on Sunday mornings and at least one weekday, Tuesday-Thursday, at Grace. Remote work can be negotiated with the agreement of the rector and other staff.