- Department/Organization: Academic Affairs
- Supervisor: Lucia Ann [Shan] McSpadden, Coordinator for International Student Support
- Job title: Writing Coach for PSR International Students
- Assist students with the coherent construction of an argument and smooth flow of ideas, according to accepted standards for academic writing.
- Assist international students with English grammar, punctuation, syntax and style in writing assignments for classes as well as thesis writing.
- Meet individually with students to review their writing and edit papers as needed. Provide feedback to assist students to improve their command of academic English.
- Report to the Coordinator of International Student Support regarding students’ progress.
- Meet occasionally with CIIS and the other Writing Coaches to monitor flow of work and further develop writing program resources.
- Use the data base, Writing Centers Online to make appointments and keep reports on each student tutoring session.
- Excellent writing skills and thorough knowledge of English grammar.
- Ability to identify common difficulties and patterns in students’ writing.
- Ability to tutor students, both international students and native English speakers, one-on-one: effectively providing feedback, instruction, and encouragement so as to support students in becoming better writers.
- Ability to be available on a regular schedule to support students in their academic work.
- Inter-cultural awareness and sensitivity in communicating with international students and fostering their integration into a North American academic setting.
- Tutoring experience
- Editing and proofreading experience
- Experience studying abroad or experience working/living in a cultural setting other than one’s own ethnic/racial background
- Hours per week: 5
- Date job is to begin: Fall semester 2016
- Hourly rate: $13.00
- Period of employment: The 2016-2017 academic year
- Preferred work days: Flexible
- Apply to: Lucia Ann [Shan] McSpadden
- Tel/email: 510-849-8250/ email@example.com