Job title: Writing Coach for PSR Writing Center (one position available)
Posting date: September 19, 2017
Department/Organization: Academic Affairs
Supervisor: Lucia Ann [Shan] McSpadden, Coordinator for International Student Support/Director of Writing Center
- Assist students with grammar, punctuation, syntax and style in writing assignments for classes as well as thesis writing.
- Assist students with the coherent construction of an argument and smooth flow of ideas, according to accepted standards for academic writing.
- Edit papers and meet individually with students to review their writing. Provide feedback to assist students to improve in their command of academic English.
- Work with distance students via Skype
- Report to the Coordinator of International Student Support regarding students’ progress.
- Meet occasionally with CIIS and the other Writing Coach to monitor flow of work and further develop writing program resources.
- Excellent writing skills and thorough knowledge of English grammar.
- Ability to identify common difficulties and patterns in students’ writing.
- Ability to tutor students one-on-one [face to face or via Skype] effectively providing feedback, instruction, and encouragement so as to support students in becoming better writers.
- Ability to be available on a regular schedule to support students in their academic work.
- Inter-cultural awareness and sensitivity in communicating with international students and students from varying U.S. social contexts.
- Tutoring experience, especially at the university and/or graduate level
- Editing and proofreading experience
- Experience studying abroad or experience working/living in a cultural setting other than one’s own ethnic/racial background
Hours per week: 5 to 7
Date job is to begin: Fall semester 2017 as soon as possible
Hourly rate: $15.00
Period of employment: Fall 2017 semester, intersession, and Spring 2018 semester
Preferred work days: Flexible
Location: Writing Center, Holbrook 219B
Apply to: Lucia Ann [Shan] McSpadden
Tel/email: 510-849-8250/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Application process: Please send resume and cover letter. Include a brief writingsample (at least 2 pages in length – previously written paper acceptable), and names and contact information for 2 references.